Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Starfish: A Modern Myth

I've always been intrigued by the idea that superhero stories are the myths of the modern era. We like stories. Furthermore, we like stories that reflect a struggle. I doubt any of the ancient Greeks fought the many-headed Hydra creeping around in their backyards, but I feel they could relate with Heracles' battle as he chopped one head only to see another one grow back in its place. This concept is not new, we see it everyday trying to handle our own problems as we solve them and more appear just as we think we're done. This is the power of myth and almost all storytelling, we are entertained by seeing ourselves in our heroes.

This is what I'm attempting to do with Starfish, tell a modern myth. It's not a completely original idea, but I'm hoping it will be an interesting take. My hope is to have a layered story and try to explain what the modern concept of evil is through images and metaphors that fit our times. How would a young person, given immense power, deal with the world around us. When evil takes the form of cancer or terror, natural disaster, or even fear, how do we fight. This is Novie's challenge as she grows to realize saving the world isn't as easy as punching holes through jet airplanes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting. How allegorical can we expect Starfish to be?

-The Ninth Doctor

Michael Angel Sanchez said...

Very. The allegories will be there, how people interpret them is what I hope to find interesting. The cool thing about myths are they become personal and unique to whoever reads them. I have a personal take as I write and sometimes that will be clear, but I hope that different people will see different things and enjoy their own take on the story being told. I hope it works on many levels.

Unknown said...

Awesome. I love reading both blatant Spencer-style allegory and Tolkien-style mythological reflection, so I know I'll love this aspect of Starfish.