Sunday, February 3, 2008

Why Starfish? Part II

Even though I had abandoned submitting a proposal to the Epic line over at Marvel using the Rogue character. The idea of a youthful and rebellious female activist superhero stuck with me. I've coached Individual Events Speech at the local high school for almost 15 years now where about 75-80% of the team are always girls. In competition, I get to see a side of girls not reflected in most of popular media. In comics especially, heroic women are almost always portrayed as cutesy power puffs, voluptuous sex-starved vixens, or at the very least, some derivative of a male superhero. I've hardly ever seen a heroic girl take the "hero's journey" with a sense of strong ambition to do what's right or even a sense of responsibility to the world around her. I began to take the best attributes I found in coaching these young women, their ambition, their work ethic, their desire to win, and build a character around them. I used the name of a girl who I had nicknamed Starfish for a reason I can't even remember now. Starfish had recommended a song to me at the time, Jet Pack by Eve 6, and like most music, it inspired a story.

No comments: